set gxout grid - skipping or combining fields?

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 20 09:19:48 EST 2008

On Feb 20, 2008 9:11 AM, Jennifer Adams <jma at cola.iges.org> wrote:

> Hei, Stefan -- The skip() function in GrADS will degrade the resolution in
> the way you suggest. Something like:
>    ga-> d skip(var,2,2)
> Since you you are using GrADS 2.0, the lterp() function is now built in
> and will allow you to interpolate from one grid to another. The algorithm in
> lterp is bi-linear interpolation from the nearest neighbors, so if you
> define your destination grid to have points at the centers of the 2x2 grid
> areas in your source data, then lterp will do the same thing as aave().

I am confused. Is the algorithm in lterp() linear interpolation or does it
switch to coservative box-averaging when coarsening the grid? This is
important to avoid aliasing.

   Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva