Reading Binary codes

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 19 11:31:47 EST 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 12:21 AM, baby liz <babyliz_leia at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hie..
>    I would like to know if GrADS can actually read binary codes and
> display them? I have this TOMS satellite data in binary codes. Can I just
> use GrADS to read the data and display it?

GrADS can read binary files, provided they are written in a particular way.
Your best bet is to study the documentation:

     http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/aboutgriddeddata.html

As for reading TOMS EarthProbe aerosol index data, are you sure you have
"binary files"? The documentation:

    ftp://toms.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/eptoms/data/1README

refers to ASCII formatted files. In this case, they will need to be
reformated in order to be read by GrADS.

    Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu