Terrain-following coordinates

Oliver Fuhrer oli at GINKO.CH
Mon Feb 11 08:54:29 EST 2008

Dear all,

I'm visualizing model output from a mesoscale model (COSMO) using Grads. Up
to now I've worked in index-space, meaning that the x and y axis of a plot
corresponded to indices of the model grid. Now I would like to visualize
some results in physical-space, meaning that the x and y of a plot should
correspond to the physical x,y,z axes. Our mesoscale model employs a
lat/lon grid with a rotated pole in the horizontal and terrain following
coordinates in z in the vertical. Is there a way to make Grads understand
these coordinate transformations (especially in the vertical to make
vertical cross-sections) or do I have to interpolate my data in an external
program?

Thanks for your help!
Oliver Fuhrer