Displaying Wind components U, V and Temperature

Eric Altshuler ela at COLA.IGES.ORG
Tue Sep 4 12:02:13 EDT 2007

Hello Felix,

You need to set the environment variable GADDIR to the directory where grads map and font data files are located. Evidently in your case, they are not in the default location /usr/local/lib/grads.

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705-3106
USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org
Phone: (301) 902-1257
Fax: (301) 595-9793

----- Original Message -----
From: "Felix Schneiders" <schnoppo at YAHOO.COM>
To: GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT
Sent: Tuesday, September 4, 2007 6:15:44 AM (GMT-0500) America/New_York
Subject: Displaying Wind components U, V and Temperature

Hello,

I would like to display Variables like Temperature
TMPBLR and zonal/meridional Wind components
UGRDBLR/VGRDBLR in grads. How do I proceed? My tries
were erroneous. See below:

ga-> query file 1
File 1 : lfff00003000
  Descriptor: z03.ctl
  Binary: lfff00003000
  Type = Gridded
  Xsize = 51  Ysize = 7  Zsize = 41  Tsize = 1
  Number of Variables = 5
    dzdthbl 41 40 ** Geometric vertical velocity [m/s]
    presblr 40 1 ** Pressure [Pa]
    tmpblr 40 11 ** Temp. [K]
    ugrdblr 40 33 ** u wind [m/s]
    vgrdblr 40 34 ** v wind [m/s]
ga-> d tmpblr
Cannot contour grid - all undefined values
Error opening stroke character data set
  Data set names = /usr/local/lib/grads/font0.dat ;
font0.dat
ga-> d ugrdblr
Cannot contour grid - all undefined values
Error opening stroke character data set
  Data set names = /usr/local/lib/grads/font0.dat ;
font0.dat

I am working on a domain which is 51 grid points in x
direction, has 41 layers in z height direction, and 7
in y direction (from which I only need one layer with
y =4). If anyone knows how to do this, I would be
grateful. Thank you.

Felix Schneiders