Plotting of Modis satellite data in HDF format using grads

Jayakrishnan PR prjayakrishnan at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 30 05:01:48 EST 2007

Dear All,
       I am now working in MODIS satellite data. The data is in HDF-SDS
format. I want to plot the data using grads, directly. Now I cannot plot the
data using gradshdf. I dont know the reason. I converted that data into
ascii and then I converted it into staion data, and using station grads I
have plotted the data. Now I can plot the colored map of each satellite pass
using station data.
      I am working in Linux platform ( ubuntu 6.1 version) with grads 1.9b4.

           Now my question is that can I plot the same data which is in hdf
format, directly in gradshdf..?. I have tried it but it dont worked. If it
is possible it will be a great thing for me because I can skip converting
into ascii, and then station format and plotting. I have heard the COARDS
convention for hdf data..? Is MODIS data following COARDS convention..?
            Any help is much appreciated....!!!!
                looking forward
                      Jayakrishnan.P.R
                      Junior Research Fellow
                      Department of Atmospheric Sciences
                      Cochin University of Science And Technology (CUSAT),

                      Cochin-16, Kerala, India