install eofgrads

Matthias Munnich munnich at ATMOS.UCLA.EDU
Fri Oct 27 15:02:28 EDT 2006

Hi Parthasarathi,

most likely you do not have write permission to your local directory.
Try starting GrADS from a directory where you have write permissions.

Was "eof_in.gad" created?

... Matt

Dr. Parthasarathi Mukhopadhyay wrote:
> Hello Matias, I was trying to use the EOF in a SGI machine after
> downloading the source code from your website. An error is
> occurring as follows ga>eof u Writing data to transfer file...
> Executing eof binary ...
>
> d eofudf(ue,19,12,-1, 70,ue_) EOFUDF Version 0.152 Fatal ERROR in
> eofudf: (Error No.  -1 ). Error opening input transfer file STOP 1
> Operation Error:  Error from eofudf function Error ocurred at
> column 1 DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression Expression =
> eofudf(ue,19,12,-1,70,ue_) eof.gs: First call of eofudf returned
> Error. STOP
>
> It looks to me that eofudf.in file is not getting created. I have
> given it in udft.txt file. can you suggest how the eofudf.in gets
> created?
>
> Thanks in advance, Parthasarathi -------------------------
>
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 09:23:33 +0800, dongdong wrote
>> Hello friends, I have tried to install EOFGRADS tool from
>> http://www.atmos.ucla.edu/~munnich/grads/EOF/index.html,but GrADS
>> warns me with " 'eofudf' not a variable or function name " I
>> think it maybe wrong with UDF. Do you have any experience with
>> User Defined Function? Appreciate any suggestions,thank you all!
>> my steps are: 1. Our machine is SGI,so i download
>> eofgrads_sgi.tar.gz and unpack it at my home path
>>
>> 2. follow suggestions by the web chdd at weather:~> pwd
>> /weather4/chdd/ chdd at weather:~> tar -zxvf eofgrads_sgi.tar.gz
>> chdd at weather:~> mkdir -p GrADS/GrADSscript chdd at weather:~> cp
>> eof.gs GrADS/GrADSscript chdd at weather:~> mkdir -p GrADS/UDF
>> chdd at weather:~> cp eofudf GrADS/UDF chdd at weather:~> vi GrADS/udft
>>  eofudf 2 6 expr value value value value char sequential
>> /climate4/chdd/GrADS/UDF/eofudf
>> /climate4/chdd/GrADS/UDF/eofudf.out
>> /climate4/chdd/GrADS/UDF/eofudf.in chdd at weather:~> vi
>> .bash_profile export GASCRP=/weather4/chdd/GrADS/GrADSscript/
>> export GAUDFT=/weather4/chdd/GrADS/udft export
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$HOME/lib
>>
>> 3. Do eof analysis in GrADS After opening file and setting areas,
>> I signed "eof qprs". and it comes with a warning. ga-> q file
>> File 1 : data.uvq.ERA/q%y4.grb Descriptor: q.ctl Binary:
>> data.uvq.ERA/q%y4.grb Type = Gridded Xsize = 144  Ysize = 73
>> Zsize = 23  Tsize = 540 Number of Variables = 1 qprs 23 133 **
>> Specific humidity kg kg**-1 ga-> ga-> q dim Default file number
>> is: 1 X is varying   Lon = 70 to 140   X = 29 to 57 Y is varying
>> Lat = 0 to 60   Y = 37 to 61 Z is fixed     Lev = 1000  Z = 1 T
>> is varying   Time = 00Z01SEP1957 to 00Z01AUG1958  T = 1 to 12
>> ga-> ga-> eof qprs Writing data to transfer file... Executing eof
>> binary ...
>>
>> Syntax Error:  Invalid Operand 'eofudf' not a variable or
>> function name Error ocurred at column 1 DISPLAY error:  Invalid
>> expression Expression = eofudf(qprs,12,12,-1,70,qprs_) eof.gs:
>> First call of eofudf returned Error. STOP ga->
>>
>> Can you help me ? Thank you in advance.
>>
>> Best Regards, Dongdong

> [...]

- --
Matthias Munnich
Univ. of California, Los Angeles
Inst. of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
3845 Slichter Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1567
Phone: +1-310-794 5899
Fax: +1-310-206 3051