Grads on Slackware 11 - segmentation faults due to a severe case of versionitis

Jennifer M. Adams jma at COLA.IGES.ORG
Fri Oct 27 14:58:40 EDT 2006

On Oct 27, 2006, at 10:35 AM, Jean Pierre Arabonis wrote:

> Hi Jennifer
>     I'm back at the problem and it appears that there are others
> also now onto/in it.
>     I looked into installing the older version and have a suspicion
> that it may in the long run lead to more problems.
>     I tried to build dods version 3.2 with no success (will not
> compile) and the folk at opendap are not keen on supporting the old
> version.
Right. We're moving on to later versions too...

>     Now I expect that Patrice's -enable-dynamic-supplibs will only
> work with dods 3.2. so building Opendap 3.4 won't help.
I don't believe that is correct, but Patrice will have to answer for
sure.

>     This leads me to come to the conclusion that the mucky-muck
> solution is the way forward ?
In my experience, mucky-muck is the only way when building GrADS from
source.

>     Am I on the right track in believing that with an effective
> build of opendap 3.4 I should then have the drivers, or the updated
> version thereof that are presently packaged in supplib tar file,
> from that I should be able to create an updated supplib and then
> work through the changes required in the .configure.
Looks like when you ran configure, it told you everything was okay to
build gradsdods. That's good, that makes it simpler. All you have to
do is change dods_libs in the Makefile. In my version it looks like
this (old dods_libs commented out on the 2nd line -- note that you'll
have to change paths here and there)

dods_libs= -lgadods -lnc-dods -ldap++ -lxml2 -L/var/adm/grads/
supplib_builds/DODS/lib -lz -lpthread -lm \
-L/var/adm/grads/supplib_builds/DODS/lib -lcurl -L/usr/kerberos/lib -
lssl -lcrypto -ldl -lssl -lcrypto -lgssapi_krb5 \
-lkrb5 -lcom_err -lk5crypto -lresolv -ldl -lz -lz  -lpthread -lz $
(supp_lib_dir)/libudunits.a
#dods_libs = -lgadods -lnc-dods -ldap++ -lgadods -lnc-dods -ldap++  $
(supp_lib_dir)/libudunits.a \
$(supp_lib_dir)/libwww.a $(supp_lib_dir)/librx.a $(supp_lib_dir)/libz.a

Once you build DODS 3.4, there's a handy program called opendap-
config (look in the DODS/bin directory) that will give you the text
you need for linking. You'll have to tweak this a little to add
udunits and such, but the above example from my build should give you
some idea of what to do.

> As I am embarking on a journey of versionitis discovery any support
> you can off will be much appreciated.
I put the three required tar files for DODS 3.4 on our ftp site:
ftp://grads.iges.org/grads/Supplibs/1.9/src/
Do  the packages first, then nc-dods, then dap.

--Jennifer

> Jennifer M. Adams wrote:
>> Jean Pierre --
>> Current public builds of GrADS use DODS version 3.2 and were built
>> with gcc version 2.9. These versions of the libraries and the
>> complier are now in retirement, and in many operating systems are
>> dead and gone. If you can find or install the old version of gcc
>> on your box, then you can probably build 1.9b4 from source with
>> the linux supplib tar file we provide.
>>
>> If you do not have gcc version 2.9, then you must build a more
>> recent version of DODS (OPenDAP) and then you have to fiddle with
>> the configure script and/or the Makefile in order to get a build
>> of gradsdods. I have used DODS 3.4 successfully on linux, but it
>> does require a bit of mucky-muck. If you can build DODS 3.2, then
>> I would use Patrice's -enable-dynamic-supplibs mods and I bet it
>> would find the new version of dods and create a usable makefile.
>>
>> Jennifer
>>

>> On Oct 18, 2006, at 11:46 AM, Jean Pierre Arabonis wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Patrice for the suggestions, I tried your tarball without
>>> success, same errors came up as before.
>>>
>>> I have brought across the following:
>>>
>>> grads-1.9b3-src.tar.gz
>>> grads-1.9b3-supplibs-linuxRH9.tar.gz
>>>
>>> put them in a directory and tried:

>>> grads-1.9b3/supplibs/lib
>>>
>>> and I have success with everything in order, then all falls over
>>> when I try make:

>>> arabonis at baltic:/data/source/Grads19b3work/grads-1.9b3> make
>>> Making all in src
>>> make[1]: Entering directory `/data/source/Grads19b3work/
>>> grads-1.9b3/src'
>>> make  all-am
>>> make[2]: Entering directory `/data/source/Grads19b3work/
>>> grads-1.9b3/src'
>>> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I.././supplibs/include -I/usr/
>>> X11R6/include    -g -O -c `test -f 'gxdxwd.c' || echo './'`gxdxwd.c
>>> gxdxwd.c:25: error: conflicting types for 'calloc'
>>> gxdxwd.c:25: error: conflicting types for 'calloc'
>>> make[2]: *** [gxdxwd.o] Error 1
>>> make[2]: Leaving directory `/data/source/Grads19b3work/
>>> grads-1.9b3/src'
>>> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
>>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/data/source/Grads19b3work/

jma at cola.iges.org