[Fwd: Re: eofgrads]

Matthias Munnich munnich at ATMOS.UCLA.EDU
Fri Oct 27 15:08:15 EDT 2006

Seems like you did not get this message.

... Matt

- -------- Original Message --------
From: - Fri Oct 27 11:40:41 2006
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 21:09:00 -0700
From: Matthias Munnich <munnich at atmos.ucla.edu>
To: dongdong <happydong365.student at sina.com>
Subject: Re: eofgrads

Hi ChenDongDong!

Your error message suggests that eofudf is not
properly registered as a UDF. Check if

ga-> q udft

returns something like

eofudf Args: 2 6 Exec: /climate4/chdd/GrADS/UDF/eofudf

If not, your environment variable GAUDFT is not
recognized by GrADS. Maybe you need to use
~/.profile instead of ~/.bash_profile on SGIs and you need to do

GAUDFT=/weather4/chdd/GrADS/udft
export GAUDFT

in your .profile for your local default shell? Sorry I never used
SGIs but a local sys admin should be able to help you set the
environment variables correctly.

I hope this helps!

... Matt

dongdong wrote:

> Hello Munnich, Thank you very much for your work of eofgrads! I
> tried to install this
tool to compute eof in GrADS,but it warns me with " 'eofudf' not a
variable or function name " I am a fresh man to Grads, Can you give me
some suggestion? Thank you!
> my steps are: 1. Our machine is SGI,so i download
> eofgrads_sgi.tar.gz and unpack it at
my home path
> 2. follow your suggested insallation chdd at weather:~> pwd
> /weather4/chdd/ chdd at weather:~> tar -zxvf eofgrads_sgi.tar.gz
> chdd at weather:~> mkdir -p GrADS/GrADSscript chdd at weather:~> cp
> eof.gs GrADS/GrADSscript chdd at weather:~> mkdir -p GrADS/UDF
> chdd at weather:~> cp eofudf GrADS/UDF chdd at weather:~> cd GrADS
> chdd at weather:~> vi udft eofudf 2 6 expr value value value value
> char sequential /climate4/chdd/GrADS/UDF/eofudf
> /climate4/chdd/GrADS/UDF/eofudf.out
> /climate4/chdd/GrADS/UDF/eofudf.in chdd at weather:~> vi .bash_profile
> export GASCRP=/weather4/chdd/GrADS/GrADSscript/ export
> GAUDFT=/weather4/chdd/GrADS/udft export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$HOME/lib
>
> 3. Do eof analysis in GrADS After opening file and setting areas, I
> signed "eof qprs". GrADS warns
me of not knowing eofudf. My steps are below:
> ga-> q file File 1 : data.uvq.ERA/q%y4.grb Descriptor: q.ctl
> Binary: data.uvq.ERA/q%y4.grb Type = Gridded Xsize = 144 Ysize = 73
> Zsize = 23 Tsize = 540 Number of Variables = 1 qprs 23 133 **
> Specific humidity kg kg**-1 ga-> ga-> q dim Default file number is:
> 1 X is varying Lon = 70 to 140 X = 29 to 57 Y is varying Lat = 0
> to 60 Y = 37 to 61 Z is fixed Lev = 1000 Z = 1 T is varying Time =
> 00Z01SEP1957 to 00Z01AUG1958 T = 1 to 12 ga-> ga-> eof qprs Writing
> data to transfer file... Executing eof binary ...
>
> Syntax Error: Invalid Operand 'eofudf' not a variable or function
> name Error ocurred at column 1 DISPLAY error: Invalid expression
> Expression = eofudf(qprs,12,12,-1,70,qprs_) eof.gs: First call of
> eofudf returned Error. STOP ga->
>
> I am sorry for bothing you. Can you help me ? Thank you in advance.
>

> Best Regards, ChenDongDong

- --
Matthias Munnich
Univ. of California, Los Angeles
Inst. of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
3845 Slichter Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1567
Phone: +1-310-794 5899
Fax: +1-310-206 3051