Units of Precipitation,U,V wind etc. in ERA 40 datasets

bernd.becker at METOFFICE.GOV.UK bernd.becker at METOFFICE.GOV.UK
Fri Nov 10 06:34:29 EST 2006

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/data/archive/descriptions/e4/index.html

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 16:29 +0500, sajjad saeed wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Can some one tell me what are the units of precipitation, u, v wind,
> temperature etc in the reanalysis ERA 40 datasets of ECMWF. From where we
> can find the units of different variables available in ERA 40 datasets.
>
> Thanyou in advance for your information.
>

> Sajjad Saeed
> Meteorologist,
> Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD),
> P.O.Box 1214, Sector H-8/2, Islamabad, Pakistan.
>
> Research Fellow
> Global Change Impact Studies Centre (GCISC),
> First Floor, Saudi Pak Tower, Blue Area, Islamabad, Pakistan.
> Ph:  +92-51-9219785,   Fax:  +92-51-9219787
> Mob:+92-334-5419962
> Email: sajjad_met at hotmail.com. sajjad2pk2 at yahoo.com
> sajjad.saeed at gcisc.org.pk
>

> >From: Suvarna Fadnavis <suvarna at TROPMET.RES.IN>
> >To: GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT
> >Subject: Re: contour plot for diff latitudinal belts
> >Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 07:03:35 +1200
> >
> >Dear Dr. ARINDAM CHAKRABORTY,
> >    Thank you for your help in plotting contour in proper oredr( x,y, z and
> >t).
> >           with best regards
> >                Suvarna
> >On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 22:17:34 -0400, Arindam Chakraborty wrote
> > > hi Suvarna,
> > >         when grads reads a data file, (by default) the different
> > > dimensions are read in this order: x, y, z, variable, t;
> > > Means x (longitude) varies fastest, and then y (latitude) and so on.
> > > (Although there can be variations of this, see
> > > http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/descriptorfile.html#VARS for
> > > 'non-standard binaries' for details. But for your control file the
> > > standard rule applies).
> > >         Now, one of your control files has y and z, for which first 8
> > > data values in the file will be read as different latitudes at the
> > > first level, and so on. For another control file, which has z and t,
> > > the first 12 data values will be taken as different levels at the
> > > first latitude (alias time here), and so on for the rest of
> > > the data. This is the reason you get different results for those two
> > > control files.
> > >         How to write the control file is dependent on how you've
> > > written down the data file. It is always a good idea to write the data
> > > in the default order of grads if you plan to use it in grads later on.
> > > In your case, you need to write y as the faster varying dimension
> > > than z in your output data file. Then use the control file which has y
> > > and z.
> > >         Please also set the lat levels as 35, 25, ..., 5, -5, ..., 35
> > > (the centers of the bands of average), that's a better way of
> > > representation.
> > >
> > > ----------------------------
> > >  ARINDAM CHAKRABORTY
> > >  Department of Meteorology
> > >  Florida State University
> > >  Tallahassee, FL-32306, USA
> > >  Tel: +001-850-6443524 (Off)
> > >       +001-850-5758550 (Res)
> > >  Fax: +001-850-6449642
> [...]
Bernd Becker   The Monthly Outlook
Met Office  FitzRoy Road  Exeter   Devon EX1 3PB  United Kingdom
Tel.: +44 (0) 1392 884511 Fax: +44 (0)870 900 5050
E-mail:bernd.becker at metoffice.gov.uk -  http://www.metoffice.gov.uk