WAFS OCTANT L and PCGRADS-grib2ctl.pl

Wesley Ebisuzaki Wesley.Ebisuzaki at NOAA.GOV
Mon May 15 10:59:30 EDT 2006

Hi,

   Beta version of grib2ctl.pl (p37 beta) now has thinned lat-lon (WAFS
octant) grid support.
Since I very rarely use thinned lat-lon grids, feedback is needed to
move the version
from beta to general release.

Details:
   Creates a pdef binary file so the latest version of grads/gribmap
MUST be used!!!!! 1.9b4
   Interpolation scheme: uses nearest point on latitude circle.

GrADS issues?
     The pdef file doesn't use wind rotation.  By trial and error, the
missing flag
          is -999 (integer) rather than the -999.0 as one might expect.
      The offsets as generated by p37 beta ranges from 0 .. nxny-1 of
the grib
          file.  However, GrADS sets the bottom left corner (offset = 0)
to undefined.
         When I tried offsets from 1 .. nxny, the top right corner had
an incorrect value.

   Wesley Ebisuzaki    (wesley.ebisuzaki at noaa.gov)

ftp://ftp.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wd51we/wgrib.scripts/grib2ctl.pl.beta