problem to access to DODS remote files

Carlos Naranjo Marquina cnaranjo at KINGEST.COM
Wed Mar 22 12:13:14 EST 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 13:27:28 +0100, Carlos Naranjo "Kingest"
<cnaranjo at KINGEST.COM> wrote:

>Before describing the problem, I request excuses to you by the errors that
>can commit writing in english and to thank for your help.
>
>I have instaled in my web server(fedora core 2) GrADS 1.9b4 (linuxRH7.1),
>with the purpose of acceding to remote data DODS to make maps and to keep
>them in png format.
>
>The problem it is that whem i try use in "gradsdods" "ga>sdfopen
>http://...."  it gives "segmentation fault" error.
>
>For make more tests, i put in my web server a DODS file
>"tmax.2m.gauss.2006.nc", whem i use a local address to open i haven´t any
>problem:
>
>gradsdods -b
>
>Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 1.9b4
>Copyright (c) 1988-2005 by Brian Doty and IGES
>Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies (COLA)
>Institute for Global Environment and Society (IGES)
>GrADS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
>See file COPYRIGHT for more information
>
>Config: v1.9b4 32-bit little-endian readline sdf/xdf netcdf dods dods-stn
>lats printim
>
>Issue 'q config' command for more information.
>
>Landscape mode? (no for portrait):
>GX Package Initialization: Size = 11 8.5
>Running in Batch mode
>ga-> sdfopen /home/hosting/public_html/meteo/mapas/tmax.2m.gauss.2006.nc
>Scanning self-describing file:
>/home/hosting/public_html/meteo/mapas/tmax.2m.gauss.2006.nc
>SDF file /home/hosting/public_html/meteo/mapas/tmax.2m.gauss.2006.nc is
open
>as file 1
>LON set to 0 360
>LAT set to -88.542 88.542
>LEV set to 0 0
>Time values set: 2006:1:1:0 2006:1:1:0
>ga->
>-------------------------------
>
>But whem i try to do it with the url to the same file it
gives "segmentation
> [...]
>
>Issue 'q config' command for more information.
>
>Landscape mode? (no for portrait):
>GX Package Initialization: Size = 11 8.5
>Running in Batch mode
>ga->  sdfopen http://www.hostingxion.com/meteo/mapas/tmax.2m.gauss.2006.nc
>Scanning self-describing file:
>http://www.hostingxion.com/meteo/mapas/tmax.2m.gauss.2006.nc
>http://www.hostingxion.com/meteo/mapas/tmax.2m.gauss.2006.nc does not
exist
>or is not a netCDF/HDF-SDS file.
>
>Couldn't ingest SDF metadata.
>ga->

>"gradsnc" and "gradshdf" with the file local address i haven´t got any
>problem.
>
>i readed in this mail list about delete the dirrectory ".DODS_chache" to
>solved the problem but i tried and still with the problem.
>
>Can somebody help me?.I am without knowledge that I can more do and than

I have continued proving different versions from GRADS, but unfortunately
without success.

Although it seems that I am advancing little by little I continue needing
your help, here I am going  to write you some more information to see  if
you can indicate me the correct way to make gradsdods and sdfopen works
well.

I have installed the GRADS version 1.8SL11 with binary file to Fedora,
because it is the only one version that create in the
directory ".dods_chache" something whem i use "ga->sdfopen
http://www.hostingxion.com/meteo/mapas/tmax.2m.gauss.2006.nc"

That create a directory in ".dods_chache" called 738  with 2 files with
this text:

--- file name:dods8BlkEM ----
<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>404 Not Found</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Not Found</H1>
The requested URL /meteo/mapas/tmax.2m.gauss.2006.nc.das was not found on
this server.<P>
<P>Additionally, a 404 Not Found
error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the
request.
<HR>
<ADDRESS>Apache/1.3.34 Server at www.hostingxion.com Port 80</ADDRESS>
</BODY></HTML>