Shading more than one variable in a plot

Jennifer M. Adams jma at COLA.IGES.ORG
Wed Dec 6 09:45:40 EST 2006

Assuming that areas of snow, rain, and freezing rain do not overlap,
you could draw the first field (snow), then print the image to a file
in the .png format. Next, you draw the second field (rain), but this
time when you print the image to a file, you use the -b option to
include your first plot in the background, and also use the -t option
so that the areas of no rain would be transparent. Finally, you draw
your third field (freezing rain), and print it using the -b option
with the 2nd .png image file you created and the -t option with the
transparent color belonging to the no-freezing-rain color. When
you're done, you should have three layered images, with the middle
and top images having a transparent color that allows the bottom and
middle images to show through where there is no rain or freezing
rain. I think the -t and -b options were added during the development
of version 1.9, so this strategy won't work if you're using version 1.8.
Jennifer

On Dec 6, 2006, at 6:23 AM, Alessandro Mandelli wrote:

> Dan Leins ha scritto:
>> All,
>>
>> I would like to create an image using GrADS of 3 separate model
>> fields,
>
> I have the same question and the same problem.
> The only solution I could come up with is
>
> d snow + rain*100 + freezingrain*10000
>
> and associate three colors to 1, 100 and 10000 but I'm not really
> happy
> with that.
>
> Cheers

Jennifer M. Adams