Comments on building GrADS from source

Don Hooper hoop at COLORADO.EDU
Thu Oct 27 21:53:17 EDT 2005

Most any NetCDF library from version 2 or 3 will work.  Version 3.6.0-p1
is remarkable as it is the first to work with files larger than 2 Gbytes
(not that GrADS can...).  The udunits API is stable, so the only reason
to prefer a version there is so certain bug fixes are included.  Anything
since 1.11 is probably OK.  The thing with HDF is, version 5 scared me as
there were massive changes.  I think the NetCDF API within HDF is still
version_2-style, so the problem with HDF5 is I think the library names
changed for the NetCDF interface, as I recall (it's been several years).

As far as I know, the readline API is stable, so I doubt version numbering
there is a big deal.   I suspect the OPeNDAP stuff is where, as previously
suggested, we will encounter the most issues.

-Hoop