Comments on building GrADS from source

Tom Pollard tomp at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Oct 27 21:39:37 EDT 2005

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for continuing to respond.

You wrote:
> You have hit the nail on the head. I, too, am unable to recompile
> libgadods with libdap 3.5.2.

It's not that mysterious why it doesn't work - the libdap API has
apparently changed.  The gadods sources are trying to load header
files from libdap that don't exist in libdap 3.5.2.

> I will see if I can get the authors of those two libraries to make
> their software play nice.

Ok, but what version of libdap /does/ work with this libgadods?  What
are the version numbers for the libraries currently distributed
through supplibs?  I think it would be nice if this information was
included in a README in the supplibs downloads, along with URLs for
the original source distributions.

> Other required libs depend on which features you want. Standard are
> HDF, NetCDF, gd,
> png, zlib, udunits, and readline.

The list I have so far is the following:
(These are the current version numbers.  I know that in some cases
earlier versions must actually be required.)

HDF 4.2r1
gadods
libdap 3.5.2
libnc-dap 3.5.2