max function

Ben Burford benb at RESTEC.OR.JP
Wed Nov 9 01:38:22 EST 2005

        Hello,

I'm a beginner at Grads.  I want to find the max value of my data so I tried
 the max function defined in the documentation:
d max(max(precip,lon=0,lon=360),lat=-90,lat=90)

But it produces only 1 value for the entire data set.

I have a global gridded 1 degree by 1 degree daily data (for an 8 year perio
d) netcdf file.  I open the file with sdfopen.  I want to find the maximum v
alue at each individual grid cell and display a global map of those (maximum
) values.  Can you tell me how to do this?

Also, I want to write these values out to a file to save and use later.

Finally, I'm runnings Grads under Windows XP and the file I'm opening is 360
 MB.  After I perform the first Grads function my computer becomes incredibl
y slow (for everything, Msword, Powerpoint, Grads, whatever).  Is there some
thing I can set (e.g a memory allocation for Grads) that will prevent this?

Thanks very much in advance.

Ben