Drawing a Boundary Around a Model Domain

Matt Georgescu matt1 at CEP.RUTGERS.EDU
Mon May 9 10:51:46 EDT 2005

This example should help:
http://cep.rutgers.edu/~matt1/totprecip_july1995simul_12.gif

Although the above is a precip map (and I want to do this for a
topography map, precip, etc.) ... around the Pacific Ocean, parts of the
Gulf of Mexico, etc., there is such little precip that <10 mm blends in
with the background, and the model domain is not directly visible.

I want to keep the contours as is and just add a dark(er) outline around
the domain's edge, to signify exactly the extent of the domain's
boundaries.

thanks to everyone that replied,
matt

On Mon, 9 May 2005, Sestak, Dr. Michael wrote:

> You should get your outline from
>
> set frame on
>
> This should be the default so I don't know why you don't have a frame
> already.  Could be that something has set it's color to the background
> color.  I believe the color and thickness of the frame are set by
>
> set annot color thickness
>
> where color is a number from 1 to 15 for the standard grads colors and
> thickness is an optional value to set the line thickness.  If you want it
> black on a white background, then it would be
>
> set annot 0
>
> If for some reason this does not work, you can simply draw a rectangle
>
> draw rec xlo ylo xhi yhi
>
> You should be able to get the corners of your plot area (for xlo, ylo, xhi,
> yhi) using
>
> q w2xy lon lat     (although it may be lat lon)
>
> where lon and lat are the longitude and latitude of each corner of your map

Matt Georgescu
Graduate Assistant, Center for Environmental Prediction

ENR 201                                 Rutgers University
phone: (732) 932-3891                   14 College Farm Road
homepage-http://cep.rutgers.edu/~matt1  New Brunswick, NJ 08901 USA
********"I have three precious things which I hold fast and prize. ********
********first is gentleness, the second frugality;the third is     ********
********humility, which keeps me from putting myself before others.********