Does GrADS work on a 64-bit system?

Michael Boettinger boettinger at DKRZ.DE
Thu Mar 31 03:50:21 EST 2005

Hi,

I have compiled GrADS 1.9b3 on our SGI PRISM (IA-64 Linux) without
much problems (compiling UDUNITS was harder), but with the resulting
binary I am unfortately *not* able to reliably save images (I
haven't tried PostScript yet).

1.) outxwd does not capture the images correctly. The contents of the
images is shifted and the colours are wrong (see attached image)

2.) printim does not work reliably:  when capturing a series of images
I often get "Logic Error 20 in gxhpng - Notify Developer". Furthermore
I have noticed that the images produced without this error are
somtimes rendered not completely - e.g. the results of some of the
"draw string" commands (near the end of my script) are only partially
visible.

Has anybody tried to use GrADS on IA-64 machines?

Greetings,
Michael Boettinger

Ren Diandong schrieb:
> I encountered some problems with my 64-bit machine a while ago. You do
> not have to worry about the binary data at all (sure worry about the
> small and big Endian, or byte-order between UNIX and LINUX). However,
> some interface commands will not work well. I found several roundabouts
> to the small problems. For example, some keyboard input string/number
> may not be processed correctly.
>
> Diandong Ren
>
> On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 11:10 -1000, Fred Yongxin Zhang wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>   We need to run GrADS on our 64-bit cluster system but are not sure
>>whether or nor GrADS works on a 64-bit system. We downloaded the full
>>GrADS distribution for Linux system from
>>
>>   http://grads.iges.org/grads/downloads.html
>>
>>but we got problems in running this distribution since it was compiled for
>>a 32-bit system.
>>
>>   We need your input on whether or not GrADS works on a 64-bit system and
>>if it does please let us know where to download the distribution. Thank
>>you.
>>
>>Fred

Michael Boettinger
Deutsches Klimarechenzentrum