request

Don Hooper hoop at COLORADO.EDU
Tue Jun 14 13:02:15 EDT 2005

Anshu Prakash Mishra,

I'm forwarding your query to the GRADSUSR mailing list, where all such
queries should go in the first place.  If you aren't subscribed, check
the GrADS web page for instructions.
> BUt when i am truying to plot it in grdas,
> it plots for only on emonth time while file is made for 12 months climatology,
There's a good reason for this, and the clue comes in the output from the
sdfopen command:
> SDF file has no discernable time coordinate.
The units attribute on the time variable in this NetCDF file is not a
udunits-based time unit.  Thus, it doesn't conform to the COARDS metadata
convention, thus sdfopen cannot handle this time axis.  So, it makes up
one that has length one.

If you wish to use the time axis of this file, you will have to either write
a DDF (Data Descriptor File) for the xdfopen command, something like:
    DSET ^Trop_Atl_Drifter_Monthly_Climatology.nc
    TDEF time 12 LINEAR 0Z01JAN0001 1MO
If you put those two lines into an ASCII text file, and then give the
name of that ASCII text file to the xdfopen command at the GrADS prompt,
that should work.  Note that the "^" on the DSET indicates that the .nc file
is in the same directory as the ASCII text file.  If this is not the case,
you will have to put the full path of the .nc file on the DSET instead of
the "^" character.

It would also be possible to use this file with a "DTYPE NETCDF" DDF;
I'll leave it for others to give the URLs referring the gadoc pages
that are relevant to such an exercise.

Note that you are using a bad build of GrADS; these output lines:
> gxstart=0, gxstop=85, gystart=0, gystop=41.
> gzstart=0, gzstop=1, gtstart=0, gtstop=1.
indicate a build of GrADS that should *never* have been released to the
public.  I strongly urge you to obtain a newer build from the COLA website:
    http://grads.iges.org/grads/

-Hoop