Moisture Convergence

Henrique Barbosa hmjbarbosa at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 14 14:19:38 EDT 2005

Hi Ooi,

You can calculate the moisture convergence like this:

'set t 1 last'
'set z 1 9'
'define es=exp(-2.8603e-1+(tmat-273.15)*5.6664e-2)'
'define q=rhmt*6.22*es/(lev-3.78*es)'
'set z 1'
'qu=vint(tmsp,q*uvmt,300)'
'qv=vint(tmsp,q*vvmt,300)'
'dd=-hdivg(qu,qv)'

Where

dd=vertically integrated moisture flux convercence
qu and qv= componets of vertically integrated moisture flux
tmsp=surface pressure
tmat=layer temperature
uvmt and vvmt=wind components
rhmt=relative humidity
q=specific humidity
es=saturation vapor pressure
300=vertical integration will go from tmsp up to 300mb

Of course, if you already have specific humidity, you don't
need to calculate that (erase the first 4 lines from the code).

You may also set the maximum height of integration
following your humidity data... I mean, if you have humidity
above 300mb, you should change de integration interval.

Cheers
Henrique Barbosa