bug in 1.9b4 sdfopen and templating?

James D Scott James.D.Scott at NOAA.GOV
Tue Jul 19 14:09:24 EDT 2005

I'm having trouble with the template feature of grads1.9b4 (solaris).
(Config: v1.9b4 32-bit big-endian readline sdf/xdf netcdf lats athena
printim)

If I try to open two netcdf files in this manner:

'sdfopen /Datasets/ncep.reanalysis.dailyavgs/pressure/hgt.2004.nc
hgt.%y4.nc 500'

and try to dispay the field at t=500:

'd hgt.1(t=500)'

I get a plot of data with very strange random values and no error
messages.

If I change the working directory to the one where the data resides and
issue this command:

'sdfopen hgt.2004.nc hgt.%y4.nc 500'
'd hgt.1(t=500)'

then everything works.   Also, if I run the first command with the full
path to the data from a different
directory on grads1.8, (Config: v1.8SL10 32-bit big-endian readline
sdf/xdf netcdf lats athena im/image-output printim)
it works.

Don Hooper's comments:
"Hoop sez -
        The old code in the function gasdfopen put the directory parts of
the pathname into the template field; the new code there doesn't.  This
may have something to do with it, as the error messages indicate a
simple
filename rather than a full pathname is what it tried to open."

Thanks,

Jamie Scott
NOAA Climate Diagnostics Center
james.d.scott at noaa.gov