Periodic Functions

Sestak, Dr. Michael michael.sestak at FNMOC.NAVY.MIL
Mon Apr 18 16:12:07 EDT 2005

If you want the "terrain" that is not positive to all be set to zero, you
can define a new variable using maskout and const to leave all the positive
values as they are and set the negative values to zero.

define newelev=const(maskout(oldelev,oldelev),0,-u)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Frame [mailto:jwf155 at PSU.EDU]
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 11:35 AM
To: GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT
Subject: Periodic Functions

Hi,

I would like to display a periodic function, such as cos(x), for an
analytic terrain profile.  How would I limit this function to one
period, between two given x values?  For example, say my mountain exists
from x=190 - 210 km, but my display is set from x=170-230 km (to see the
upstream and downstream effects of the terrain).  Currently, I can only
get this function to plot for every period in the display range, whereas
I only want one period displayed.  My ultimate goal is to subtract off
this terrain height to convert heights from above sea level to above
ground level.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

--