[gradsusr] How to control the cache size

Muhammad Dogar mubashardogar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 03:06:43 EST 2023

Dear GrADS users,

I am using the GrADS Version 2.1.a3. I am working on the output of the
GFDL-CM2.1 coupled model. After opening the file, I got the following
warning when I displayed the geopotential height variable. I tried to set
the cache size scale factor up to 100 in my terminal (i.e., set cachesf 100),
however I still got the same error message. Could you suggest some
solution? I am not sure if my system is really allocating this size or this
version of the GrADS is not handling the memory size properly.

*** WARNING! ***
*** The I/O for this variable will be extremely slow
*** because the chunks are too big to fit in the cache
*** chunk size = 1296000 bytes  (144 * 90 * 25 * 1 * 4 bytes)
*** cache size = 103680 bytes
*** There are two ways to control the cache size:
*** add a CACHESIZE entry to the descriptor file
*** or change the cache size scale factor with 'set cachesf'
*** Please read http://iges.org/grads/gadoc/compression.html
Contouring: 0 to 5000 interval 500

Best regards,
Dr. Mubashar

Scientific Officer (Climatology Section),
Global Change Impact Studies Centre (GCISC)
Ministry of Climate Change (MoCC)
6th Floor, Emigration Tower, G 8/1, Islamabad, Pakistan
email: mubashardogar at gmail.com
           mubashardogar at yahoo.com