[gradsusr] Unknown command:

Sergey Marchenko yegres.marchenko at gmail.com
Fri May 6 19:16:26 EDT 2022

Dear Grads Users,

Being completely new to the Grads land and, even more, to the Linux world i
attempted to run a *.gs script, got some error messages and can't figure
the way to go around them.

Grads version 2.2.1 was installed by calling "sudo apt install grads" from
Ubuntu 22.04 installed as a VM with the help of Hyper-V on Windows 10. The
script i attempted to execute produces an image using a slice of data from
a *.gdat file. The actual image is produced and does look reasonable, but
then grads stutters when the script attempts to call the lines:
"cbarn 1 0 5.5 0.8"
and lower down.
"gprint snow1".
So no color bar and no image printed... The returned error messages are:
Unknown command: cbarn
Unknown command: gprint

I then tried to use the Grads package to export a *.gdat file to NetCDF
using the lats4d function and the same message appeared.

It appears as if Grads can't find the functions called from the script or
the command line. But then i can't find them either. I've no idea where
ubuntu stores the functions. Simple search did not return anything
reasonable. Can it be the case that after installing the grads package on
Linux one is supposed to somehow map the way to the functions, so that the
OS can navigate to the relevant code, once a function is called? A bit like
setting the path variable in Windows. If that's the case, how is it done?
If it is not, what could possibly prevent grads from running the above
named functions?
In any case, i'd be very grateful if some one could put me on the right
track. Feels like it is something very basic.

Best regards, Sergey M.