[gradsusr] Errors with RAP model Winds....

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 13:41:19 EDT 2022

WIlliam,
You are correct that we will need more information to help with this.

Please send the contents of your control file as well as output from wgrib2
on the data file.

Also, what is your source for the RAP data files?

Jeff Duda

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 9:36 PM William Rasch - NOAA Federal <
william.rasch at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm getting all kinds of errors trying to simply plot ugrd (any level) of
> the RAP model.  I've seen some discussion about this but nothing I'm doing
> seems to be working....
>
> The process I'm using is cat (bunch of grib2 RAP files) > rap.master
> g2ctl rap.master > rap.master.ctl
> gribmap -i rap.master.ctl
>
> I realize I may not be sharing nearly enough information for this, but
> just spit balling if anyone has had RAP issues.  Thanks so much...here is
> the error...
>

> g2_getfld: return from g2_unpack7 = 4
> GRIB2 I/O Error: g2_getfld failed, ierr=14
> Data Request Error:  Error for variable 'ugrd10m'
> Operation Error:  Error from mag function
>   Error ocurred at column 1
> DEFINE error:  Invalid expression.
> ugrd10m vgrd10m
> x1 isss 143.002 505.333 85.3913 309.533
> g2_getfld: return from g2_unpack7 = 4
> GRIB2 I/O Error: g2_getfld failed, ierr=14
> Data Request Error:  Error for variable 'ugrd10m'
> Operation Error:  Error from mag function
>   Error ocurred at column 9
> DEFINE error:  Invalid expression.
> g2_getfld: return from g2_unpack7 = 4
> GRIB2 I/O Error: g2_getfld failed, ierr=14
> Data Request Error:  Error for variable 'ugrd10m'
> Operation Error:  Error from maskout function
> Operation Error:  Error from maskout function
>   Error ocurred at column 1
> DEFINE error:  Invalid expression.
> Syntax Error:  Invalid Operand
>   'xmag' not a variable or function name
> Operation Error:  Error from maskout function
> Operation Error:  Error from maskout function
>   Error ocurred at column 1
> DEFINE error:  Invalid expression.
> SET error:  Missing or invalid arguments for ARRSCL option
> Syntax Error:  Invalid Operand
>   'ugrd' not a variable or function name
> Operation Error:  Error from skip function
>   Error ocurred at column 1
> DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
>   Expression = skip(ugrd,10,10)
> g2_getfld: return from g2_unpack7 = 4
> GRIB2 I/O Error: g2_getfld failed, ierr=14
> Data Request Error:  Error for variable 'ugrd10m'
> Operation Error:  Error from maskout function
>   Error ocurred at column 1
> DEFINE error:  Invalid expression.
> Syntax Error:  Invalid Operand
>   'xmag' not a variable or function name
> Operation Error:  Error from maskout function
>   Error ocurred at column 1
> DEFINE error:  Invalid expression.
> Syntax Error:  Invalid Operand
>   'ugrd' not a variable or function name
> Operation Error:  Error from skip function
>   Error ocurred at column 1
> DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
>   Expression = skip(ugrd,10,10)
>

> --
>
> William Rasch
> Science and Operations Officer
> Weather Forecast Office
> Sacramento, CA

Jeff Duda, Research Scientist
University of Colorado Boulder
Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences
NOAA/OAR/ESRL/Global Systems Laboratory
Boulder, CO