[gradsusr] Total Snow Accumulation with GFS .25 Degree

Jeff Chabot jsc219 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 23:09:53 EST 2022

Hello GrADS Users,

I solved the total snow accumulation equation for GFS .25 Deg.  Here is
what I came up and appears to work well:

TIME_STEPS = 81
'define precip = apcpsfc/25.4'
'define snow = precip * csnowsfc'

while ( t <= TIME_STEPS )
'set t 't
if (t=1)
'define rain = precip'
'define apcptot = precip'
'define snowtot = snow'
else
 'define rain = precip - precip(t-1)'
 'define apcptot = sum(precip,t=1,t-0) - sum(precip,t-1,t-1)'
 'define snowtot = (sum((precip(t-0) - precip(t-1))*csnowsfc,t=1,t-0,1)) *
10'
endif

'd rain'
'clear'
'd apcptot'
'clear'
'd snowtot'
'clear'

t = t+1
endwhile

Hopefully this helps others!  Jeff D, thanks for all your input!  If I can
find a single GRIB2 file that covers the forecast period, I will look into
switching methods, but for now the sdfopen method is working for me.

Sincerely,

Jeff C

>>> https://jeffsweatherservice.com/grads/gfs_hd/test/precip_US_2.png