[gradsusr] Cannot output in jpg or gif

Stephen McMillan smcmillan at planalytics.com
Sat Mar 13 13:17:36 EST 2021

Hello again, Jason--

I did some checking on my system (linux) and saw it had ImageMagick, so I
found it simple to convert from PNG to JPG or GIF, in a script for example:

'gxprint testpic.png x960 y720'
'!convert testpic.png testpic.gif'

Where "convert" is the ImageMagick command-line tool.  By the way, convert
can also be used for a host of other options.  From GrADS, if you have the
application, you could enter !convert --help to see the various options.
Otherwise, see https:/imagemagick.org for more information.

Stephen Mc

On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 12:13 PM Stephen McMillan <smcmillan at planalytics.com>
wrote:

> Jason,
>
> The GrADS documentation (
> http://cola.gmu.edu/grads/gadoc/gradcomdgxprint.html) states the JPG and
> GIF options are not supported by the Cairo library.  Printim is an alias
> for gxprint.  PNG is now the only supported image format, but you might
> consider one of the vector graphic options.  You could also try using
> ImageMagick to convert to JPG or GIF.  Perhaps another GrADS user can
> assist, since I have no experience with that.
>
> Stephen McMillan
>
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 8:58 AM <jason at solargrafix.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to output an image to a format other than png.  I can create
>> the png without any problem, but I can not create gif or jpg.  If I
>> change the file extension to gif or jpg in my script, nothing is
>> created.
>>
>> Here is the line in my script I am using to create the image...
>>
>> 'printim C:\xampp\htdocs\weather\models\20210313\HRRR-SNOW24.png x1024
>> y768'
>>
>> I also tried using gxprint instead of printim, but the result was the
>> same.  I am using grads 2.2.1
>>
>> Any assistance would be appreciated.

contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use of the
recipient(s) named above and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential, and/or proprietary. If you are not the intended recipient,
you may notreview, copy or distribute this message. If you havereceived
this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by
e-mail, and delete the original