[gradsusr] Grads doesn't work with latest version of netcdf?

Eric Aligo eric.aligo at noaa.gov
Tue Nov 3 07:31:34 EST 2020

Up until recently, I've been able to plot 2D and 3D fields from 3-km
horizontal grid spacing FV3 output in netcdf format on a rotate lat-lon
grid. Part of the control file I used is below, and you can see the
domain covers a region slightly larger than CONUS.  With a recent
version of FV3 model code, I'm no longer able to plot any fields.  When
I display a variable, it sits and spins.  I exit out after 3 minutes.
When I extract a very tiny domain from this larger domain using ncks, I
can view the fields. I've been told FV3 model code now uses netcdf
4.7.4, and that this might be the problem ,but I'm not sure.  Has anyone
encountered this or have any suggestions?  Does GrADS need to be rebuilt
with the updated netcdf library?

* Rotated LatLon grid: South pole lat -51.500000 lon 262.500000 rot
angle 0.000000
pdef 2501 1501 rotll 82.5 51.5 0.019999 0.019999 -25 -15.000000
ydef 1418 linear 20.018999 0.019999
xdef 3793 linear 224.568771 0.019999

Eric