[gradsusr] Accessing geos-5 servers using GrADS and curl

avi kojokro kojokroavi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 15:34:12 EDT 2019

Hi,
I was trying to connect to this
<https://goldsmr4.gesdisc.eosdis.nasa.gov/dods/> site and it asked for
login details. I have such details and I enter them correctly I am able to
access the site. However, I couldn't access the same site using GrADS,
probably because GrADS doesn't have the needed login details and
consequently fails to authenticate.

I talked with James Potemra about it and he suggested to try this
<https://disc.gsfc.nasa.gov/data-access#grads>. However, in step 5 I get
the following error in grads:

> Scanning self-describing file:
> https://goldsmr4.gesdisc.eosdis.nasa.gov/dods/M2TMNXSLV
> syntax error, unexpected WORD_WORD, expecting SCAN_ATTR or SCAN_DATASET or
> SCAN_ERROR
> context: HTTP^ Basic: Access denied.
> sdfdeflev: nc_get_vara_double failed to read coordinate axis values
>  NetCDF: Authorization failure
> gadsdf: Failed to define X coordinate values.

 I get it when trying on both windows and a linux VM.

The .netrc file contains the following:

> machine urs.earthdata.nasa.gov
> login xxxxxx
> password yyyyyy
> machine goldsmr4.gesdisc.eosdis.nasa.gov
> login xxxxxx
> password  yyyyyy

The .dodsrc file contains the following, on windows. (James wrote it needs
to contain "remote OPeNDAP server access information". If that is the cause
of the issue, what is the format?):

> #HTTP.NETRC="C:\Users\OWNER\_netrc"
> #HTTP.COOKIEJAR="C:\Users\OWNER\_urs_cookies"

The cookie file, after curl is run, contains the following (on windows, the
base64 was modified for this email):

> # Netscape HTTP Cookie File
> # https://curl.haxx.se/docs/http-cookies.html
> # This file was generated by libcurl! Edit at your own risk.
>
> .earthdata.nasa.gov TRUE / FALSE 1568399835 urs_user_already_logged yes
> #HttpOnly_urs.earthdata.nasa.gov FALSE / FALSE 1568399835
> _urs-gui_session c5ad3b0da8eac8c3994ccda5c32a9fde
> .nasa.gov TRUE / FALSE 0 nasa_gesdisc_data_archive
> eaweafpPJ2eERpdaefeOMyf5dsdafeaJVtEIEWSDFefwaMuPFD36eaeadHYuzievmLDSFWSF1XoXHTnXB8duM3+gshSDESTUmExUadCqWy0SEOxKdafeP9f6bs51XC48BhZaMuqMfLbARWEFDS342MA==

Has anyone encountered this issue and knows how to fix it?
 Avi