[gradsusr] about the amount of precipitation

Sujata Mandke amin at tropmet.res.in
Fri Mar 15 01:18:43 EDT 2019

Hello Yared!

Please multiply precipitation values by 86400.0.
Follows reason for multiplication by this factor.

You have to consider that:
- 1 kg of rain water spread over 1 square meter of surface is 1 mm in thickness;
- there are 60X60X24=86400 seconds in one day.
Therefore, 1 kg/m2/s = 86400 mm/day.

Hope this solves your problem.

With best regards
Dr.(Mrs)Sujata Mandke
Scientist, Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology,
PUNE,INDIA