[gradsusr] related to: Mac OS Mojave question

Uma Bhatt usbhatt at alaska.edu
Thu Apr 4 13:05:16 EDT 2019

Hi Jennifer et al,

 Just some background. I have an old laptop running Mojave, a new laptop running Mojave and an old desktop running 10.12.6.
a) On the new laptop I installed Brew to be my package manger (have used fink in the past but that did not seem to work on my main open source tools of Grads and NCL). I tried to install the Grads binaries and but that did not work because of missing dynamic libraries. So I decided to do a install from scratch of Grads. I followed the directions on http://cola.gmu.edu/grads/gadoc/supplibs2.html <http://cola.gmu.edu/grads/gadoc/supplibs2.html> and was able to run .configure but always was stuck on make and make install. I of course did not keep track of the error but it was saying that it could not find something that had this path /Users/jma/… . I  had gone through all the files in the install directory to change the paths to my paths so I could not figure out where it was coming from. So that is where I was stuck on my new laptop.

b) On my desktop running 10.12.6 (old laptop so can not upgrade which I thought was a good thing). I tried the binary install (which in the past takes me all of 15 minutes). I also installed MacPorts after reading the web information on grads on this computer. I added the supplibs to the appropriate folder. This is the error I get when I type grads

[umadesktop:~/grads/supplibs/tarfiles] bhatt% grads
dyld: Library not loaded: /Users/jma/grads/supplibs/lib/libpng15.15.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/grads
  Reason: image not found
Abort

  Any advice?

I also started to install from scratch on the desktop but got stuck there yesterday but could not recreate the same error this morning.

I admit I am a bit lame with paths but on my new laptop I tried to be really careful about that. So I am a bit nervous to install Macports since I went the Brew route. I have many scripts in grads so not getting this working is cramping my productivity. So I am committed to get this working.

 thanks,
 Regards,
 Uma

——————
Learning never exhausts the mind.
- Leonardo da Vinci

Uma S. Bhatt
Professor of Atmospheric Sciences & Geophysical Institute,
Director Cooperative Institute for Alaska Research
physical location: Akasofu (IARC) Building (2158 Koyukuk Drive), Room 315
office location: https://map.what3words.com/parade.string.most
mailing address:
University of Alaska Fairbanks
Geophysical Institute
2156 Koyukuk Drive
Fairbanks, Alaska  99775-7320

tel: (907) 474-2662  fax: (907) 474-2643

email: usbhatt at alaska.edu
web: www.gi.alaska.edu/~bhatt/