[gradsusr] Help to install latest version of GrADS (2.2) in ubuntu 16.04

Muhammad Yunus Ahmad Mazuki ukm.yunus at gmail.com
Wed May 16 00:32:49 EDT 2018

These are the steps I made for GrADS 2.2.1 in Ubuntu WSL. I skip some step
like enabling WSL or installing VcXsrv.
Download the GrADS 2.2.1 binary, CentOS-7.4 version. Download
supplibs-centos7.4-x86_64.tar.gz. Download data2.tar.gz. Unpack everything
first.
tar xvzf grads-2.2.1-bin-centos7.4-x86_64.tar.gz
tar xzvf supplibs-centos7.4-x86_64.tar.gz
mkdir data2
tar xvfz data2.tar.gz -C data2

Then copy some files into the system.
sudo mkdir /usr/local/bin/grads
cd
cd Downloads/
cd grads-2.2.1/
cd bin/
sudo cp * /usr/local/bin/grads/
sudo mkdir /usr/local/lib/grads
cd
cd Downloads
cd grads-2.2.1/
cd lib
sudo cp * /usr/local/lib/grads

Now we copy the supplibs into system (I think its not proper Linux to do
this, but we need to link some of the library here and user wont
accidentally delete it compared to in Downloads)
cd
cd Downloads/
cd supplibs/
cd lib/
sudo mkdir /usr/local/lib/grads/supplibs
sudo cp -R * /usr/local/lib/grads/supplibs/

Next make a file called udpt. This is the same as the example of the file
in UDPT page.
sudo pluma /usr/local/lib/grads/udpt
In the new open window type the following:
# Type     Name     Full path to shared object file
# ----     ----     -------------------------------
gxdisplay  Cairo    /usr/local/lib/grads/libgxdCairo.so
gxdisplay  X11      /usr/local/lib/grads/libgxdX11.so
gxdisplay  gxdummy  /usr/local/lib/grads/libgxdummy.so
*
gxprint    Cairo    /usr/local/lib/grads/libgxpCairo.so
gxprint    GD       /usr/local/lib/grads/libgxpGD.so
gxprint    gxdummy  /usr/local/lib/grads/libgxdummy.so
save then exit

Next is installing some libraries using apt-get
sudo apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev libssl1.0.0 libssl-dev
libjpeg62-dev libgeotiff-dev make build-essential libhdf5-dev libnetcdf-dev
#there is also pluma nautilus and chromium-browser, but that's because the
Ubuntu WSL is a server install (barebone)
#There might be other library needed, but since they might be installed due
to installing pluma, nautilus, and chromium-browser. It should not be a
problem. Just install them through apt-get.
sudo ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libssl.so.10
sudo ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.10

Now we link library built from GrADS website (some of the supplibs file)
sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/grads/supplibs/libpng15.so.15 /usr/lib/
sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/grads/supplibs/libnetcdf.so.7 /usr/lib/

Remember to edit .bashrc or Ubuntu will keep asking to install grads
through apt-get.
cd
pluma .bashrc
Add these line to the bottom of .bashrc
export
PATH=”usr/local/bin/grads:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games”

Then source .bashrc
cd
source .bashrc

Yunus

http://cola.gmu.edu/grads/gadoc/supplibs2.html

> The 2.2.1 build is dynamically linked, which affects portability. If you
need to install the supplibs locally, you may find what you’re looking for
here: ftp://cola.gmu.edu/grads/Supplibs/2.2/builds/.

> You might also have better success using the 2.2.0 build executables,
which are (mostly) statically linked.

> —Jennifer

> > On May 15, 2018, at 9:29 AM, Krishnakumar AP <krishnaap7 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > I don't know whether this is helpful or not. But still if you face
particular issue like changing environmental variables or something you can
refer this ( http://cola.gmu.edu/grads/gadoc/supplibs.html ). I am also
trying to do the same thing in my ubuntu 15.04. Let's see, all the best.

> > On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 5:00 PM, Brian Doty <grads at gradsdev.com> wrote:
> > I am setting up an ubuntu system for working on grads at home, so I am
also looking for any advice the forum can offer. I have a general idea of
how to proceed (install or build the supplibs, then use the configure
script to build grads from source), but I cannot offer any specific
suggestions right now.  I'll keep you updated as I attempt my ubuntu build,
but it likely will be a month or two before I get to it... Brian

http://secure-web.cisco.com/1NPYARLH4htSEmaOOXPtNDZb2NUxE9VTw2vncC8u7sanSOTCqCldM73tCRjy4vkf5VOf-B51o3HKtt2HZIHe5UKu0XTND6ADfd4o7Ch5RW0BQmIDn67YlUYy7Z67KTU2ORs5Y3h1LY2bPBk81hTOEWbddNqGS82-kWCgUe6e_xvtDp65xB3BO5eEspsFEG3i484yuN1y6o3Q7WvCnH-tpjAIuE6RhcUPNB6dbYSX7jlYVD7CtzK1QvSxdpkkPYze2uLCasJVx6kaQtKDa4V2rY-JMAn32GOzo2cOLwPeGzqhbgZOgzrKLMvB1Ei2lZ04dFnzOEJiMYUtYH-SsB9XmoNizwyYpzamVhDkrJA0oZdMQc1ETSuAwf17PWe2oFICGzT9zKvYbFl3agJ159zv1p-HIFwDWuNeI7ZfZ4PF5BZ74VKYMOAX5glAqXreTqACu/http%3A%2F%2Fgradsusr.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fgradsusr