[gradsusr] Using linefill on 2-D plot?

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 15:19:27 EDT 2018

L.B.,
Here's an idea:
-Define your three fields above (ensemble max, min, and mean) across the
entire domain. Don't worry about thresholding at 32 F right now.
-Display
const(maskout(tmp2m,ensmin-32),1)*const(maskout(tmp2m,32-ensmax),1)'
The first term above should plot a solid color everywhere the ensemble
minimum is above 32 while the second term should plot a solid color
everywhere the ensemble maximum is below 32. The multiplication should
cause all areas outside that to be set to missing, so the result should be
a band of color between the maximum and minimum extents of the 32 contour.

It's possible I have the mask expressions reversed, so if the above doesn't
give you what you're looking for, try swapping expressions.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Jeff Duda

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 12:29 PM, L.B. <bcbass2989 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I was wondering if it was possible to use the linefill gxout option on a
> 2-D plot to fill between lines of an ensemble spread? Take for instance the
> attached photo of the mean 32F isotherm and ensemble spread. These 3 lines
> were plotted with some basic commands:
>
> 'd min(((TMP2m-273.15)*(9/5)+32),e=1,e=20)'
> 'd max(((TMP2m-273.15)*(9/5)+32),e=1,e=20)'
> 'd ave(((TMP2m-273.15)*(9/5)+32),e=1,e=20)'
>
> Is there a way to use linefill, or perhaps another method to shade in the
> area encompassed by the min and max ensemble members to show the possible
> range of an isotherm?
>
> *-------*
> William (L.B.) LaForce IV
> Meteorologist

Jeff Duda, Research Scientist

University of Colorado Boulder

Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences

NOAA/OAR/ESRL/Global Systems Division
Boulder, CO