[gradsusr] Build GrADS 2.20 from Source, Errors with GRIB2 and gribmap

William Daniel Scheftic scheftic at email.arizona.edu
Wed Jan 31 01:12:42 EST 2018

Hi Jennifer,

I'm not sure why I didn't receive your reply since I'm subscribed to the
list, but I pulled your response off the gradsusr Archives.

Thanks for your help! My responses are below.

 >> On Jan 30, 2018, at 4:01 PM, William Daniel Scheftic <scheftic at
email.arizona.edu> wrote:

 >> Hi,
 >>
 >> I have built GrADS-2.2.0 from source for OpenSuse Leap 42.3 on the
Windows Subsystem for Linux.
 >Bravo!
 >

 >> I have tested reading netcdf and GRIB1 files and they work fine.
However, I am not able to read GRIB2 files. I get the following error if
I try to open a GRIB2 file that already had a .idx file produced:

 >> GRIB2 I/O Error: Predefined bitmap applies (ibmap=47244640267)
 >I belive this is related to a setting for CFLAGS in the grib2c
library’s makefile. Try it without the “-D__64BIT__” .

Great!  This worked well, I reran gribmap got all matches and it works
in GrADS now.

 >You could also try digging out the g2clib binary from the tarball of
my SUSE supplibs builds:

ftp://cola.gmu.edu/grads/Supplibs/2.2/builds/supplibs-suse12.1-x86_64.tar.gz
 >and see if that changes anything.
 >
 >> If I rerun the built gribmap on the file to produce a new .idx file
I get a different error:
 >> Cannot contour grid - all undefined values
 >You should always look at the verbose output from gribmap to make sure
you’ve matched the variables in your descriptor the variables in the
data file

 >> This file worked fine with the SUSE-12.1 binaries using the gribmap
in that distribution.

 >> I should point out that the built gribmap gives a segmentation fault
on verbose (-v) mode.
 >Your gribmap or mine?
 >I can’t reproduce a seg fault with the -v option on my SUSE server.
What is the source for the grib2 file you’re using?

 >>  I had a different issue with the binaries regarding gxprint that is
working now that I've built from source.
 >What was wrong with gxprint?

When trying to output a .png image I got the following warning with a
blank image output.  Since I was linking the GrADS binaries with
packages installed through zypper, perhaps it was a versioning problem.
libpng warning: Application built with libpng-1.6.8 but running with 1.5.12