[gradsusr] Help Displaying NetCDF File

Jennifer M Adams jadams21 at gmu.edu
Thu Jan 25 08:36:05 EST 2018

Hi, L.B. —
Thanks for providing all the information needed to diagnose the problems!

In the ncdump output there is this:
> 	lat = 850 ;
> 	lon = 1500 ;
> 	float Data(lat, lon) ;

But in your descriptor file, you’ve got the dimension names switched in your XDEF and YDEF statements
> XDEF lat 1500 LINEAR -125.98 0.04
> YDEF lon 850 LINEAR 21.02 0.04

It should be:
XDEF lon 1500 linear -125.98 0.04
YDEF lat 850 linear 12.02 0.04

This should solve the ‘exceeds dimension bound’ error.

I also noticed that the lat values in the ncdump output went from North—>South, but the GrADS convention is South—>North, so you may need an ‘OPTIONS yrev’ in your descriptor file as well. It should be obvious from looking at the data display whether the grid is upside down or not.

The other message, "global attribute type 12 not supported”, is because those attributes are labeled as type “NC_STRING” and GrADS is only testing for the following:
	    case (NC_BYTE):
	    case (NC_CHAR):
	    case (NC_SHORT):
	    case (NC_LONG):
	    case (NC_FLOAT):
	    case (NC_DOUBLE):

I will add a case for NC_STRING, but in the meanwhile, you can ignore those messages, since the parsing of global attributes is more for your informational use and does not affect the I/O.
—Jennifer

--
Jennifer Miletta Adams
George Mason University