[gradsusr] Hillshade

Jennifer M Adams jadams21 at gmu.edu
Thu Feb 15 09:17:14 EST 2018

I had to google it — 'hillshade’ is a handy GIS function for making topography look cool in a 2D plot. Best I can offer is the formula used for the topographic background maps in the forecast maps at wxmaps.org. Start with a high-res topo data, e.g.:

ga-> sdfopen http://monsoondata.org:9090/dods/topo/rose/etopo05
ga-> z = maskout(rose,rose)
ga-> div = hdivg(z,const(z,0))

—Jennifer