[gradsusr] Open GRIB Files over THREDDS Opendap Server

Jennifer M Adams jadams21 at gmu.edu
Thu Feb 1 14:34:01 EST 2018

> On Feb 1, 2018, at 1:48 PM, William Daniel Scheftic <scheftic at email.arizona.edu> wrote:
>
> The behavior seems to be intermittent.  I tried to open my larger ctl file with most of the variables.  First time it failed. Second time with no changes it opened fine.  I had another connection failure on a data request and then retried it with success.
>
> I have noticed it's much slower to load the ctl file and plot the variables through this server.  The NCEP GDS server runs very fast for even larger data requests.  Does the THREDDS opendap server do the same work for splicing the data prior to sending it as GDS does?

That is unfortunate behavior! I don’t know how THREDDS servers work. NCEI stopped using GDS operationally because the resources were not available to support updates to GDS so it could meet their needs. It is a bummer for all of us.

I do know that if you look at pre-projected data behind a THREDDS server (say, for the regional model output that is on a lambert grid) the I/O with GrADS will be painfully slow, making that data essentially unusable. That is because they serve the data on the native grid, and Grads must do the PDEF interpolation on the client side, so the I/O is done one grid box at a time, four times per grid point. Fixing that would require some significant changes to the I/O layer in GrADS; it is on my to-do list, but has been back-burnered in favor of other explicitly-funded enhancements.

> I'll have to check with NCEI because I got an error with an xml dump when trying to plot the same variable in GrADS.
Give them as much information as you can about when/how things went wrong and what tools you were using to access the server. I hope they can help.

> Also, I'm a little confused about how to extract levels from non-pressure data using the same ctl file.  Can I do this in my ctl file?
> Storm_relative_helicity_height_above_ground_layer_136_Hour_AverageNanalysis=>hlcy0_1000m 0 t,0,y,x ** 0 to 1 km storm rel. helicity
> Storm_relative_helicity_height_above_ground_layer_136_Hour_AverageNanalysis=>hlcy0_3000m 0 t,1,y,x ** 0 to 3 km storm rel. helicity
> The vertical coordinate for this variable is:
>  height_above_ground_layer = 500, 1500 ;
>
>  height_above_ground_layer_bounds =
>   1000, 0,
>   3000, 0 ;