[gradsusr] GFS Ensemble data behind COLA's GDS

Jennifer M Adams jadams21 at gmu.edu
Fri Mar 17 09:16:19 EDT 2017

I have decided to keep both the 1.0-degree and 0.5-degree data streams active. The higher res data is divided into two files, “a" and “b”, which is done so we users with limited resources don’t have to grab all the data if we don’t need to. I am getting the smaller of the two, “a”, which contains the variables of greatest interest and fewer vertical levels. The problem is that although wind components are available at seven vertical levels in the “a” files, geopotential height is only provided at the four lowest levels, 500mb and above are *not* included. Why, NCEP, why???

So, if you want to look at higher res ensemble forecast data, use gefs0p5, unless you’re interested in obscure variables like 500mb height, then you’re stuck with gfsens.

—Jennifer