[gradsusr] Grads 2.1.a3 - Problem plotting Intel graphic

Jennifer M Adams jadams21 at gmu.edu
Thu Jan 12 11:00:25 EST 2017

This problem is bad, and I want it to be resolved too. There are so many complicating factors it is difficult to figure out where to begin and it’s especially tough for me because I am not able to duplicate it. The fact that it is hardware dependent just makes it worse. I don’t think it’s a problem unique to GrADS, but I could be wrong. One way to simplify things is to use a smaller C program (like xdemo.c) that uses Cairo in the same way that GrADS does but without all the other supplib baggage.

Can you test whether my sample program xdemo.c works on all your various setups where GrADS X11 displays fail? You will have to build the Cairo library from source. Maybe the problem is simply that we are not using the very latest version of Cairo and all of its dependents, and an upgrade is all that is needed for GrADS to work on these newer systems. That would obviously be the easiest solution.

The other thing that confuses the issue is the X11 client-server interaction. I do all my work on a MacBookPro. I use xterm to open windows to access my local operating system (OSX 10.9.5) and also to ssh to remote servers (at this point, only redhat 5 and 6). The rendering is done by the X11 server on my local machine (XQuartz), not the remote systems I am connected to using ’ssh -Y’. GrADS is dynamically linked with the X11 libraries; I have no idea whether libX11 and libXext are different on OSX v. red hat 5/6 v. redhat 7 v. ubuntu v. fedora, but maybe that is the source of the problem.

The Lenovo hardware is a different beast altogether, a laptop/desktop box that has its own flavor of unix and X11 server. I know nothing about these systems; if the brand of graphics cards makes a difference then it’s a software issue at a much lower level than where GrADS is working. Do you think the display would look right if I used an xterm on my Apple laptop to ssh to a Lenovo box and ran GrADS remotely?

I am working on new releases for GrADS, where the graphics back ends for printing and display are dynamically loaded as shared objects based on user-provided arguments on startup. That would mean you could take advantage of all the other improvements since version 2.0.2 but not depend on Cairo for the display. I have to get the configuration issues ironed out before I can make it public.

I will ask my systems administrator if he can set up a RHEL7 sandbox for me, but in the meanwhile please try the things I have suggested and let me know what works/fails. It’s not called the cutting/bleeding edge for nothing!
—Jennifer