[gradsusr] Mask/Scripting error

Jennifer M Adams jadams21 at gmu.edu
Mon Jan 9 16:36:57 EST 2017

Justin,
Now your script is producing some meaningful error messages that indicate a problem with the time axis metadata.

The sdfopen code will retrieve the first and second time coordinate values and calculate an increment; then it parses the string in the units attribute (e.g. “minutes since…”,  “months since…”, et al.) and makes sure that these two make sense together. The error message you are seeing happens when the time axis unit is “minutes since” but the increment between the first and second time steps is larger than (60 minutes * 24 hours * 360 days).

Check the output from ncdump -c for the mask files that it is choking on and see if you can find the differences between the metadata in the files that do work.

Also, it is probably worth the bother to switch the order of your open files — open the GLDAS data first keeping it open throughout the whole script as file 1, then inside the mask loop open each mask as file 2 and just keep opening and closing file 2.  You may notice an improvement in performace.
—Jennifer