[gradsusr] Displaying GOES-R data in GRADS?

Jennifer M Adams jadams21 at gmu.edu
Wed Feb 22 10:26:11 EST 2017

Hi, Bob —
There are two possible ways to attack this problem:
1. Rewrite the data as station data, where each pixel is a station report
2. Interpolate the satellite projected data to a regular lat/lon grid.

The station data option is probably easier to code, but will significantly expand the data volume and your display options will be more limited. The interpolation could be done entirely outside of GrADS with customized code, or you could use a PDEF file, which can be a little tricky to create. I have had success using the ESMF_RegridWeightGen tool, which takes as input grid information for the source and destination grids and outputs the interpolation weights. I wrote a short C program (which I can share with you, if you want it) to convert the interpolation weights delivered by RegridWeightGen into a PDEF file. It may be a bit of a nuisance to prepare the inputs to the RegridWeightGen tool — that tool was designed for irregular model grids, not satellite data, but I think it is flexible enough to manage the job. ESMF’s user support is excellent. There may be other tools specifically designed for GOES-16 data that could be used to manipulate the data to transform it into something GrADS could handle. Is the lat/lon data for the satellite projection is the same for every image?
—Jennifer