[gradsusr] Query regarding scorr function in grads

Andrew Friedman andfried at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 03:59:09 EST 2017

Hi Suman,

You can’t use all of the grid points as your degrees of freedom. The issue is that your points are likely spatially correlated, meaning that points near each other are similar to each other. This will likely reduce your degrees of freedom considerably.

Here’s a paper that discusses the issue:
The Effective Number of Spatial Degrees of Freedom of a Time-Varying Field. Christopher S. Bretherton et al., Journal of Climate 1999.
DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/1520-0442(1999)012<1990:TENOSD>2.0.CO;2

Best, Andrew