[gradsusr] Creating Surface Temperature Analysis Plot from GrADS Homepage

Jennifer M Adams jadams21 at gmu.edu
Mon Dec 18 11:22:00 EST 2017

Hi, Aaron —
That surface temperature plot on wx maps.org is based on station data — obs that are acquired via the LDM but are shared publicly via GDS at http://monsoondata.org:9090/dods/stn/metar/past48. I use the local copy of this data set and a dummy descriptor file that defines the destination grid I want to feed to the oacres() function:

'open past48.ctl'
'open dummy.ctl'
'set t last'
'set lon -150 90'
'set lat 0 90'
'set dfile 2'
'define foo = oacres(dummy.2,maskout(ts.1,filt.1-2.5),14,10,8,5,3,1)'

After this, I plot the defined grid ‘foo’. These are the map projection settings I have for that specific plot, settings for colors and contour levels are left for you to specify to meet your particular needs.

'set mproj nps'
'set mpvals -119 -76 25 54’

To indicate that the grid is based on station data and to show the original data, I overlay the actual station values as text on top of the contours:

 'd maskout(ts.1,filt.1-2.5)’

The ‘filt’ variable is a rank that Brian Doty devised to filter/thin the obs so that they are not too crowded on the plot and become unreadable. I hope this is enough to get you started drawing your surface temperature plots.

—Jennifer