[gradsusr] Compiling GrADS 2.2.0 on Debian 9.x

Fil fil at meteopt.com
Sat Dec 2 07:51:02 EST 2017

Hi,

I was able to finally compile GrADS 2.2.0 on a Debian 9.1 system but
unfortunately it's not working as expected. I get this error when drawing
anything:

ga-> d prmslmsl
GRIB2 I/O Error: Predefined bitmap applies (ibmap=8589934604)
Data Request Error:  Error for variable 'prmslmsl'
  Error ocurred at column 1
DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
  Expression = prmslmsl

I guess that something went wrong with the g2clib compilation?

I couldn't compile it with the suggested alteration to the INC variable:
INC=-I$SUPPLUBS/include -I$UPPLIBS/include/libpng15

So I entered the full paths:
INC=-I/srv/grads/supplibs/include -I/srv/grads/supplibs/include/libpng15

Also added the 'U' flag to the ARFLAGS var so I didn't get a bunch of
warnings about "deterministic mode" and the compilation went through
without any errorst. The rest of the supplibs went fine except for
dap/gadap which I don't really use.

To compile grads successfully I had to export CFLAGS="-fPIC -ldl"
The final binary is only 8.1 MB which seems odd given that all features
were enabled.

Any idea on what can be causing this error?

I attached the config.log file.

Thanks.

PS: the provided binary builds on the grads website are not working for me.
The rh and suse builds give me this error when using gxprint:
libpng warning: Image width exceeds user limit in IHDR
libpng warning: Image height exceeds user limit in IHDR
libpng error: Invalid IHDR data