[gradsusr] display problem with v.2.1.a3

Endalkachew Bekele - NOAA Affiliate endalkachew.bekele at noaa.gov
Sun Jun 26 12:40:00 EDT 2016

Thank you Senya!

I saw Jennifer's response in the thread, and it seems to be related to the
problem of X11. I hope someone would come up with a solution.

Thanks again,

Endalk

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 9:46 AM, Semyon Grodsky <senya at umd.edu> wrote:

> Endalk,
>
> the problem is still there. It is present in all versions using new
> graphics, but Jennifer doesn't think that this is a GRADS problem. As an
> alternative, we stick with 2.0.2, which works on our system.
>
> --Senya
>
> On 6/25/2016 8:26 PM, Endalkachew Bekele - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
>
> Hi Senya,
>
> Did you manage to resolve this problem? I am having similar problem while
> runing DrADS 2.1 on Fedora 23 and Centos 7 laptops.
>
> Endalk
>

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 1:43 PM, Semyon Grodsky < <senya at atmos.umd.edu>
> senya at atmos.umd.edu> wrote:
>
>> Jennifer,
>> is there an option in 2.1.a3 to turn cairo off and switch to old display?
>> Thanks,
>> --Senya
>>

>> On 4/30/2015 12:10 PM, Jennifer Adams wrote:
>>

>> On Apr 30, 2015, at 11:27 AM, Semyon Grodsky <senya at atmos.umd.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Jennifer,
>> from windows laptop I use telnet to connect to the Linux RH7 machine and
>> XMing  for X11. In this case Grads 2.1.a3 works fine.
>>
>> Good! I think that means it’s not a GrADS problem.
>>

>> I am getting display problem when physically log into RH7 machine. In
>> this case 2.0.2 works fine, but 2.1.a1 and 2.1.a3 both fail to display.
>>
>> I always use SSH from my laptop to connect to Redhat linux systems … I am
>> not sure I can even duplicate this method of running GrADS. I know that
>> unix systems have a GUI interface for logging in directly that looks a bit
>> like a windows desktop, but I have never used it. What happens when you use
>> batch mode and gxprint — do you get a proper graphic that way?
>>

>> The difference between the two cases is in X11. In the first case it is
>> handled by Xming (not sure, guessing that), in the second case it is
>> handled by RH7 X11 library.
>>
>> X11 has client/server sides, and I often get them confused. I think it is
>> the X11 server that is on the laptop side, and the client on the redhat
>> linux side. So if you are using the unix GUI, maybe that is employing the
>> older version of the X11 server that has the faulty rendering?
>>

>> —Jennifer
>>

>> --Senya
>>

>> On 4/30/2015 11:16 AM, Jennifer Adams wrote:
>>
>> You say it works fine on a windows 8.1 laptop with Xming. What is the
>> system that doesn’t work? —Jennifer
>>

>> On Apr 30, 2015, at 11:13 AM, Semyon Grodsky < <senya at atmos.umd.edu>
>> senya at atmos.umd.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Jennifer,
>> Thanks for coming back on that.
>> Please see below.
>> --Senya
>>

>> On 4/30/2015 11:02 AM, Jennifer Adams wrote:
>>

>> On Apr 30, 2015, at 10:41 AM, Semyon Grodsky < <senya at atmos.umd.edu>
>> senya at atmos.umd.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Dear experts,
>>
>> after updating LINUX to RedHat Enterprise 7, grads v 2.1.a3 starts
>> failing
> [...]

*Endalkachew Bekele*Meteorologist / UCAR Associate Scientist
CPC International Desks
NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction
5830 University Research Court, Cubicle 3149
College Park, Maryland 20740
Tel: (301) 683-3459
e-mail: endalkachew.bekele at noaa.gov