[gradsusr] display problem with v.2.1.a3

Semyon Grodsky senya at umd.edu
Sun Jun 26 09:46:58 EDT 2016

Endalk,

the problem is still there. It is present in all versions using new
graphics, but Jennifer doesn't think that this is a GRADS problem. As an
alternative, we stick with 2.0.2, which works on our system.

--Senya

On 6/25/2016 8:26 PM, Endalkachew Bekele - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
> Hi Senya,
>
> Did you manage to resolve this problem? I am having similar problem
> while runing DrADS 2.1 on Fedora 23 and Centos 7 laptops.
>
> Endalk
>

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 1:43 PM, Semyon Grodsky <senya at atmos.umd.edu
> <mailto:senya at atmos.umd.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Jennifer,
>     is there an option in 2.1.a3 to turn cairo off and switch to old
>     display?
>     Thanks,
>     --Senya
>

>     On 4/30/2015 12:10 PM, Jennifer Adams wrote:
>>
>>     On Apr 30, 2015, at 11:27 AM, Semyon Grodsky <senya at atmos.umd.edu
>>     <mailto:senya at atmos.umd.edu>> wrote:
>>
>>>     Jennifer,
>>>     from windows laptop I use telnet to connect to the Linux RH7
>>>     machine and XMing  for X11. In this case Grads 2.1.a3 works fine.
>>     Good! I think that means it’s not a GrADS problem.
>>

>>>     I am getting display problem when physically log into RH7
>>>     machine. In this case 2.0.2 works fine, but 2.1.a1 and 2.1.a3
>>>     both fail to display.
>>     I always use SSH from my laptop to connect to Redhat linux
>>     systems … I am not sure I can even duplicate this method of
>>     running GrADS. I know that unix systems have a GUI interface for
>>     logging in directly that looks a bit like a windows desktop, but
>>     I have never used it. What happens when you use batch mode and
>>     gxprint — do you get a proper graphic that way?
>>

>>>     The difference between the two cases is in X11. In the first
>>>     case it is handled by Xming (not sure, guessing that), in the
>>>     second case it is handled by RH7 X11 library.
>>     X11 has client/server sides, and I often get them confused. I
>>     think it is the X11 server that is on the laptop side, and the
>>     client on the redhat linux side. So if you are using the unix
>>     GUI, maybe that is employing the older version of the X11 server
>>     that has the faulty rendering?
>>

>>     —Jennifer
>>

>>>     --Senya

>>>     --
>>>     -----------------------------------------------------------
>>>     Semyon Grodsky
>>>     Computer and Space Science Building (Bldg. #224), Room 2409
>>>     Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Science
>>>     University of Maryland
>>>     College Park, MD 20742
>>>
>>>     Phone:301-405-5330 <tel:301-405-5330>
>>>     Fax:301-314-9482 <tel:301-314-9482>
>>>     E-mail:senya at atmos.umd.edu <mailto:senya at atmos.umd.edu>
>>
>>     --
>>     Jennifer M. Adams
>>     Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies (COLA)
>>     111 Research Hall, Mail Stop 2B3
>>     George Mason University
>>     4400 University Drive
>>     Fairfax, VA 22030

>     --
>     Semyon Grodsky
>     Computer and Space Science Building (Bldg. #224), Room 2409
>     Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Science
> [...]

Room 2409, Computer and Space Sciences Building (224)
4254 Stadium Dr.
College Park, MD 20742

Phone:  301-405-5330
Fax:    301-314-9482