[gradsusr] How to use NEXRAD hourly precipitation data?

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 16:54:38 EDT 2016

Bimal,
You won't use the Weather and Climate Toolkit to directly obtain radar
data. The software merely gives you a way to display and analyze it (as
well as convert radar data to other data formats). To obtain the actual
data, go to the radar page of the National Climatic Data Center's website
at this link: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access/radar-data. Follow the
links to obtain radar data, which will lead you to this site:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/nexradinv/. You can choose whatever means to get
you the data you are looking for. You may find it easier (or harder) to
obtain data directly from the Amazon Web Services cloud site, which allows
you to download without making a data request first:
https://aws.amazon.com/noaa-big-data/nexrad/.

Once you have obtained the data, you can store them locally on your
machine, or just use a HAS order number (which you will get if you submit a
request for the data using the HAS service:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/has/HAS.FileAppRouter?datasetname=7000&subqueryby=STATION&applname=&outdest=FILE).
If you use a HAS order number, you don't have to manually download the
data. The WCT software will pull the data in for you once you enter the
order number in the data dialog box.

Hopefully this gets you started. Let me know if you have other questions.

Jeff Duda