[gradsusr] Plotting shapefiles with varying colors

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 18:17:00 EDT 2016

Stephen McMillan's advice is correct, except instead of drawing filled
polygons, just use draw shp #N to draw the object with index number N. You
can use 'q dbf' and read the output to determine which polygons have which
warning type, then use 'set line ...' to set the color, then 'draw shp NN'.

Jeff Duda

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 5:02 PM, Matt Bunkers - NWS Rapid City <
matthew.bunkers at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Stephen and Jennifer,
>
> Thanks for the replies.  I don't think I asked my question correctly.  I
> only want to plot certain polygons within the same shapefile (e.g., the
> tornado polygons), and then I want to plot other polygons (e.g., the flash
> flood warnings).  What I cannot figure out is how to draw just those with
> certain attributes, without drawing the others.
>
> -- Matt
>

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 3:03 PM, Stephen McMillan <
> smcmillan at planalytics.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Matt,
>>
>> See index for 'set shpopts'...
>> http://cola.gmu.edu/grads/gadoc/gradcomdsetshpopts.html
>>
>> It has an option for color.  In addition, you can use 'set line... ' to
>> set the shape boundary color, style, and thickness
>>
>> Additional help in http://cola.gmu.edu/grads/gadoc/shapefiles.html
>>
>> Good luck--
>> Stephen McMillan
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 3:25 PM, Matt Bunkers - NWS Rapid City <
>> matthew.bunkers at noaa.gov> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> At this website,
>>>
>>> http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge2/shapefiles/
>>>
>>> is a "current_warnings" shapefile that has tornado, flash flood, and
>>> severe thunderstorm warning polygons.  I'd like to plot each of the three
>>> warnings with different colors, but I do not see how I can do that with the
>>> "draw shp" command (i.e., they all end up as the same color).  Does anyone
>>> have a way to do this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> -- Matt Bunkers, NWS Rapid City, SD

Jeff Duda