[gradsusr] Converting Daily Average to Monthly Average

Justin Hicks jhicks2014 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 11:10:29 EDT 2016

To whom it may concern,

I'm working on converting a plethora of datasets, many of them with daily
and hourly temporal resolutions, into a monthly temporal resolution.

I am unsure how to write a script that I can run that changes, in this
case, average daily data into average monthly data, with respect to leap
years and such. I have tried to follow scripts from other users who have
previously posted here, but they did not seem to work.

There is an example of the script I tried to run on this page:
http://gradsusr.org/pipermail/gradsusr/2006-June/003290.html

This is the script I am currently running:

reinit
mday = '31 28 31 30 31 30 31 31 30 31 30 31'
month = 'jan feb mar apr may jun jul aug sep oct nov dec'

 'open file /data2/control/GPCC_FirstGuessDaily'

 'set gxout fwrite'
 'set fwrite /data2/control/GPCC_FirstGuessDailyScriptTest'

 yr1 = 2009
 yr2 = 2013

 yr = yr1
 while(yr<=yr2)
 leap = 0
  if(math_mod(yr,400) = 0 | math_mod(yr,4) = 0 & math_mod(yr,100) != 0)
   leap = 1
   say yr' is a leap year.'
  endif
  imon = 1
  while(imon <= 12)
   md = subwrd(mday,imon)
   mc = subwrd(month,imon)
   if(imon = 2); md = md + leap; endif;
  time1 = '01'mc''yr
   time2 = md''mc''yr
*   say time1' 'time2
   'd ave(p,time='time1',time='time2')'
   imon = imon + 1
  endwhile
  yr = yr + 1
 endwhile

Running this code gives me an error saying that it cannot open the file,
yet it is pointed to the correct directory. However, it does output saying
that '2012 is a leap year' which is correct.

Any help would be appreciated, as I'm a terrible coder.

-Justin