[gradsusr] grads-2.0.2-13.fc23.x86_64 and gadsdf: Error parsing time units in SDF file.

Jeff Chabot jsc219 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 12:43:17 EDT 2016

Hello gradsusr Digest,

I am running into an issue with grads in fedora 23 using the sdfopen
command.  The same command works in fedora 21.  I am running grads in batch
mode.

I am seeing the following error only in Fedora 23, "Error parsing time
units in SDF file", but using the exact same link "
http://nomads.ncep.noaa.gov:9090/dods/nam/nam20160606/nam_12z" in the gards
version under Fedora 21 opens the file and works.

Here are versions:

Fedora 23: grads-2.0.2-13.fc23.x86_64
Fedora 21: grads-2.0.2-8.fc21.x86_64

Here is the output difference between Fedora 23 and Fedora 21:

Fedora 23:
grads -lbc
Note: -c option was specified, but no command was provided

Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 2.0.2
Copyright (c) 1988-2011 by Brian Doty and the
Institute for Global Environment and Society (IGES)
GrADS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
See file COPYRIGHT for more information

Config: v2.0.2 little-endian readline printim grib2 netcdf hdf4-sds hdf5
opendap-grids geotiff shapefile
Issue 'q config' command for more detailed configuration information
GX Package Initialization: Size = 11 8.5
Running in Batch mode
ga-> sdfopen http://nomads.ncep.noaa.gov:9090/dods/nam/nam20160606/nam_12z
Scanning self-describing file:
http://nomads.ncep.noaa.gov:9090/dods/nam/nam20160606/nam_12z
gadsdf: Error parsing time units in SDF file.

Fedora 21:
grads -lbc
Note: -c option was specified, but no command was provided

Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 2.0.2
Copyright (c) 1988-2011 by Brian Doty and the
Institute for Global Environment and Society (IGES)
GrADS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
See file COPYRIGHT for more information

Config: v2.0.2 little-endian readline printim grib2 netcdf hdf4-sds hdf5
opendap-grids geotiff shapefile
Issue 'q config' command for more detailed configuration information
GX Package Initialization: Size = 11 8.5
Running in Batch mode
ga-> sdfopen http://nomads.ncep.noaa.gov:9090/dods/nam/nam20160606/nam_12z
Scanning self-describing file:
http://nomads.ncep.noaa.gov:9090/dods/nam/nam20160606/nam_12z
SDF file http://nomads.ncep.noaa.gov:9090/dods/nam/nam20160606/nam_12z is
open as file 1
LON set to -152.879 -49.586
LAT set to 12.2199 61.0947
LEV set to 1000 1000
Time values set: 2016:6:6:12 2016:6:6:12
E set to 1 1

I'm looking to move to a more updated version of Fedora, but I need to get
this working first.  Is it a problem with the grads version in Fedora 23?
Anyone else seeing this issue?  Anyone know a workaround?

Thanks,

Jeff