[gradsusr] Fwd: Finding Average from Multiple Model Datasets

Jennifer M Adams jadams21 at gmu.edu
Thu Jun 2 11:02:09 EDT 2016

I'm emailing you directly instead of posting to the GrADS Mailing List because I'm not sure if my question is even possible...

All questions are valid and should be shared with the hive mind of the forum instead of just one person. I may know a lot of answers, but posting the whole group is ALWAYS better. When you post to the forum, your question and the answer (if you ask your question properly) get shared with the community and are available in the archives for the next time someone has the same question. Also, it is a tremendous help to me when other users contribute to the task of answering questions.

Do you know of any way to combine (via lterp or some similar function) multiple GRIB model datasets (GFS, HRRR, GEM, NAM, etc) and create an average from it, using GrADS? I realize that this might not be possible because each of the datasets have different spatial and temporal resolutions.

Sure, this is possible with lterp. For example,

‘set dfile 1'
foo=‘12z02june2016'
‘set time ‘foo
'avg = (var.1+lterp(var.2(time=‘foo’),var.1)+lterp(var.3(time=‘foo’),var.1))/3’

—Jennifer

--
Jennifer Miletta Adams
George Mason University